Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Jack's Quilt

After finishing up my daughter's quilt for the Blogger's Quilt Festival, my son, Jack, asked me every day if his quilt was done.  A few days later I finally finished it.

While I was making Casey's quilt, Jack requested one for himself.  I had just seen some of Alexander Henry's 2D Zoo fabric and asked Jack if he wanted his quilt to have zoo animals on it.  He most certainly did as long as there was a lot of blue involved.  I ordered a little bundle of fabric, including the 2D Zoo and some coordinating prints but I didn't have much of a plan for it.  I knew Jack was going to bug me about it every day until the quilt was done, so I wanted it to be simple and quick.  I also wanted to try to showcase the 2D Zoo and not cut it up too much.


This quilt is the first quilt that I have designed myself and I'm proud of that.  But because I was in a hurry, I made a bunch of mistakes on it and all the way up until I put the binding on, I didn't like it at all.  I just wanted to be done with it.  Thankfully, now that it's a finished quilt, I like how it came out.  It's backed in a light blue minky that Jack picked out himself and I used some Alexander Henry elephant fabric for the binding (not that you can see the elephants but it was the only piece that had enough fabric leftover and that matched the back).

To be honest, the quilting isn't entirely done but after spending a night quilting straight lines like a mad woman, I didn't have it in me to outline the big squares the way I wanted to.  And a 4 year old was demanding his quilt so I just let it go.  I might go back and finish them later.


Pretending to sleep after I first gave it to him.
Quilt burrito

But the best part of this quilt is the reaction from Jack.  He loves it.  Here is some of his praise:


"This is great for rolling on.  I love my new blankie.  I like mine 168...you know that Mommy?"  (He's big into trying to describe things with numbers, the bigger the better.)

"Mommy, this has all kinds of good boy colors in it."

"Casey is going to be excited when she sees my blanket all done Mommy!"

"It's great for cuddling."

"I can do anything with my new blankie!"

He really said all those things on the afternoon that I gave it to him.  I doubt I'll ever hear such gushing praise for one of my quilts so I'm so happy that I got it finished, imperfections and all.  After school on Monday he even said, "Mommy I told Miss Holly and all my friends that you made a quilt for me!"  


No comments:

Post a Comment