Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Christmas Quilts, Part 1

I made three quilts and one table runner between Thanksgiving and December 17th!  I didn't really intend to be up against the Christmas deadline so frantically, but I was.  I'm so glad I finished them, especially the one I lamented about in my last post.

The first one I finished was for my mother-in-law.  She just bought a beach house and when I saw Moda's Pure fabric line by Sweetwater, I knew it would go perfectly in her beach house.  I also knew that I wanted to do a square in square quilt so the planning for this one was pretty easy...it just took a bit of time to piece it.

I finished the hand sewing the binding the first weekend in December.  We were at our very own brand new beach condo for the first time which is a few buildings down from my in-laws' place.  After I finished sewing the binding on, I snuggled under it for a bit...just had to make sure it was going to work well for a beach house!  

After I washed and dried it, it hung on my stair railing for a few days.  I still get a little shiver of pride when I see what I've created, so it was fun to walk by it every time I went up and down the stairs.


I used a layer cake to make the square in squares and I added a 5" border around it to make it a little bigger.  I quilted straight lines on both sides of the blocks, horizontally & vertically.  I used a sheet for the backing which was a first for me.  It was a Wamsutta sheet that I got at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  I loved the feel of it after I had washed and dried it.  I bought a chocolate colored binding at the fabric store.  I think it might be my last store bought binding (unless I'm in a bind - ha ha) because the combination of it and the sheet on the back made it difficult to hand sew the binding.  It just required a little more effort and time because the needle didn't slip through the fabrics as easily.



No comments:

Post a Comment